Sunday, January 31, 2016

Carmine Street between Bleecker and 6th Avenue

This block in Greenwich Village has a handful of shops on it, one of which is called Popbar.

Gelato pizza Carmine Bleecker Sixth Avenue


I first saw the name from a distance and wondered what they sold: maybe Popbar specializes in different types of soda pop, even though no one in New York uses that term for soda. Or maybe it's a popsicle store and is also owned by Spurs basketball coach Gregg Popovich, whose nickname is "Pop." The possibilities were intriguing. Then I got closer and saw that it's a gelato shop. Oh. Okay. That's still cool, I guess. Actually I think they sell gelato popsicles, which is an interesting twist.

Next to Popbar is Joe's Pizza.


I can't believe it took me 7 posts before I got to a block with a pizza place on it. I feel ashamed.

Joe's has great pizza and I recommend it if you're in the area. Also try a delicious Sicilian slice to mix things up! The day before this I had eaten twice at Joe's, once here and once at their 14th Street location, so I didn't feel like getting another slice just so I could take a photo of it. Besides, I think we all generally know what a slice of pizza looks like. Let's be adults about this.

Unfortunately Joe's can sometimes get very crowded, and there are also some walking tours that make it a regular stop of theirs. This means a large group of people added to the mix, plus a tour guide talking very loudly to the tourists as if they're the only ones there, making it feel a bit like being observed in an exhibit: "New Yorkers love their pizza, folks! Here we see some in their native habitat. Don't get too close or they might get agitated. In fact, since they're New Yorkers they're probably already agitated over something or other."  

On the plus side of eating at Joe's, they play the oldies radio station, although oldies used to mean music from the '50s and '60s and now it means music from the '60s, 70s, and 80s. Which is fine, but what about Dion and the Belmonts? Anyway, I seem to be getting sidetracked. Back to pizza...

A relative visiting from out of town recently asked me if New Yorkers fold their pizza when eating it, and if that was considered the right way to do it here. To me, it doesn't matter. You can do it either way. However, when ordering regular pizza without toppings, don't ask for a "cheese slice" or a "plain slice," just call it "a slice." Otherwise you're basically announcing, "Hey everyone! I'm not from here. I'm visiting from out of town. Just wanted to say that. Okay, carry on!"

Here are some of the stores closer to Bleecker Street:


Dos Toros is a taqueria, and its name means "two bulls." In other words, don't order the mystery meat on the menu. Just kidding.


On the corner is another gelato place called Grom. Is this where Mets pitcher Jacob deGrom is from? Was he born in this shop?

Two gelato places on one block seems like a lot, and I wish I could be mad about gelato being so trendy, but I admit I find it delicious so I'm okay with the whole thing.

On the other side of this block is Father Demo Square:

Carmine Bleecker square

Father Antonio Demo was the pastor of Our Lady of Pompeii Church from 1900 to 1935. The church, and its Catholic elementary school, are on the opposite corner of Bleecker Street:


On a personal note, this Square has special significance because it was a favorite spot of my Grandpa Richie. 
 
As nice as this block is, I think it's even more beautiful during the warm months when the trees have bloomed.


Maybe I'll come back then and take some more photos of this block. But it's still nice in the winter months too.


Plenty of bicycles available here, by the way.

I guess that's all for now. If you're in the area, grab a slice at Joe's and relax for a while in Father Demo Square. You deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment